Pages

Sunday 8 October 2017

Ski Sunday


I'm a bit late posting my DT card for the new Christmas Card Throwdown challenge.

Our theme is Winter Sports.



I knew this challenge was coming up and that I didn't have much I could use. So when my local art and craft shop had a sale recently, I was on the look out. I've had a run of craft bargains - after that sale, one of the charity shops in town got a lot of stamps in, then a couple of weeks ago I found out about a "Stash busting super sale" that was arranged locally. The idea being that craft people could sell their unused stash. I went as a buyer, and got a lot of stuff.



This is just a part of my haul from the three events.

But to get back to my point, I was on the look out for something Winter sports themed, and found a set of stamps of skiing penguins. It's not the sort of thing I usually use, and I wouldn't have bought at full price, but for £1, I was happy.



Here's the set stamped out, for me to see what they looked like.

I went with the top right penguin. I stamped her in archival onto an off cut of card. Colouring isn't my thing particularly, but I got out my Faber Castell pencils and had a go.



I was quite pleased with how she turned out.

Then for a background - much more familiar territory for me!

I used some super smooth watercolour card I'd treated myself to. I spritzed with water and added distress stain (a stash buster purchase) in chipped sapphire, weathered wood and picket fence.

Whilst wet, I placed cling film over the top and scrunched it up, then left to dry.



The next day, these were the results.



I love this effect! I used the darker piece for the card.

I added snowflakes from Sweet Dixie over the top. I stamped in versamark and heat embossed in white.



These snowflakes are so pretty and delicate. I blended chipped sapphire distress ink around the edge of the background, to frame it.

For interest across the card, I stamped some Urban Stamps Christmas borders onto more scrap card. I used adirondack ink in cranberry, bottle, denim and slate.



I cut the borders into strips then shorter lengths, and arranged in a brick type pattern across the background.



I used slim foam pads to attach them, and then cut off the excess at the edges.

I cut my penguin out with an oval die, then stamped the smallest snowflake from the same set around her, in tumbled glass distress ink.



She was then added to the top of the card with foam pads, and it was mounted on a 6x6 card base.



To join in with the theme challenge, go to the Christmas Card Throwdown. You have until midnight BST on Friday 20th October to play.

I look forward to seeing what you do with this challenge.



6 comments:

  1. Quel amour de pingouin Lucinda, il est trop craquant et ton fond est superbe, biz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Fabiola. Quelque chose d'un peu différent pour moi - mais bien sûr dû faire un de mes fonds!

      Delete
  2. Wow.. your card is fabulous and the technique is amazing. How super "cool" also love all the new bargains you got. yay for you. btw-thank you for stopping by my blog so sweet of you ♥ I would follow your blog but I don't know how here. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PJ, glad you like the card. Just need to find a place for all the bargains now - but at least I am making use of them!

      Delete
  3. I adore your card Lucinda - your little penguin is so cute! And such a bargain to boot! You did a great job of colouring her, and I'm in awe of your skills creating that beautiful background too - amazing! Hugs, Gill x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gill. The background is one of those that is much simpler than the results imply - I love those!!!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda